To provide companionship and care to the sanctuary cats through socializing, interactive play, caregiving, and cleaning, grooming, and cuddling. These
important interactions allow our cats to gain socialization and behavioral skills and comfort while at the sanctuary awaiting their new homes.
All volunteers must meet the cognitive and physical requirements to safely perform their tasks, work completely independently, follow verbal and written instructions, and effectively communicate with staff, other volunteers, and the public.
There are opportunities available for children ages 10-17 to volunteer with the cat program, with the active and constant involvement of an adult parent/guardian. One guardian per child is required. The adult parent/guardian team must complete the necessary training before bringing the child to volunteer.
- Ability to tolerate cat fur, dander, scratches, bites
- Ability to be exposed to possible zoonotic diseases
- Ability to move quickly when entering and exiting a room
- Ability to walk up and down stairs
- Must be able to read and fully understand instructions and follow directions at all times
- Must be able to understand and work with various types of cats including cats with illness and/or aggression
- Ability to follow and respect safety protocols for scared or aggressive cats
- Ability to communicate with the volunteer manager via email/phone when necessary
- Must have access to email
Duties and responsibilities:
- Socialization with the cats which includes interactive play, petting, brushing, sitting and cuddling
- Scoop litter boxes when necessary and dispose of wastes in outdoor garbage cans
- Assist staff in duties such as medicating cats, unpacking inventory, folding laundry
- Keep a record of cat activities and any unusual medical behavior via journal entry, cat behavior sheets, and medical forms
Location of the job:
Requires at least one visit per month; weekly visits preferred
Dress code required:
- No open-toed shoes, sandals or high heels.
- Must wear sturdy shoes that are not easily removed from feet. Tread must be non‐slip.
- No shorts‐Long pants only.
- No dangling jewelry
- Be aware that any clothes you wear run the risk of being damaged.
- Do not wear your best clothes to your volunteer shift at the sanctuary