Apply to Adopt
The Our Companions Adoption Program aims to find a pet who will be the best match for each adopter. Our team provides our adopters with support from the start of the journey and throughout the animal’s entire life; including pre-adoption counseling, assistance while the animal is settling in, and life-long support. Our goal is to find loving homes for our animals and to facilitate individualized adoptions that meet both the adopter’s and animal’s needs.
Why adopt from Our Companions?
We offer a personalized adoption process, with an individual pet Adoption Caseworker assigned to work with you throughout the process. Making an ideal match for both pet and adopter is our highest priority. In addition, we offer support long after the adoption is completed to make sure our adopters have the help they need to care for their pet.
What is the process for adopting a pet from Our Companions?
- Once we receive your application, you will be assigned an Adoption Caseworker. They will work with you throughout the adoption process. Caseworkers are also available to talk with you before you submit an application about our process and available pets. We do take more than one application for each pet to ensure the best match possible is selected.
- Your Caseworker will review your application, which includes contacting your personal and veterinary references and talking with you to learn more about your preferences for your new pet.
- Once an appropriate match has been identified, your Caseworker will set up a meeting at our Program Center in Manchester, CT or Sanctuary in Ashford, CT.
- With dog adoptions, a dog-to-dog introduction will also be arranged prior to finalizing an adoption for those applicants wanting to welcome a dog into a multi-dog household. A visit to your home may be scheduled as well.
- If it’s a match, a separate adoption meeting is set up to bring home your new family member!
What is included in adoptions from Our Companions?
- All of our pets receive a veterinary wellness exam. They are vaccinated as appropriate, spayed or neutered, and treated for internal and external parasites.
- Dogs are tested for Lyme and Heartworm. Cats are tested for FeLV and FIV.
- Most pets are micro-chipped prior to adoption.
- Cats and dogs will usually be sent to their new home with a favorite toy, bed, and/or blanket to make their transition more comfortable.
- Our Companions provides transitioning advice and support when the pet is first moving in. Follow-up is provided for the first year and beyond as needed. You are welcome to reach out at any time after that as well. Our advice is always free!
- Dog adopters are offered Positive Reinforcement Dog Training Classes at a discounted rate, which take place at the Program Center in Manchester.
How do I visit?
- After your application is reviewed, your Caseworker will contact you to schedule a time to meet the animal(s) being considered for adoption.
- Many of our cats and dogs are guests at our Sanctuary in Ashford, CT. Meetings for these pets take place at the Sanctuary, and you can often meet more than one animal while there.
- Some of our adoptable animals are not at the sanctuary; rather, they are living with their original owners while they await re-homing. Meetings with these pets take place at the Program Center in Manchester.
- Our Sanctuary in Ashford, CT is open for public visiting hours every Saturday from 1-3 PM.
How much does it cost to adopt?
Our Companions does not charge for adoptions, but we do ask for a tax-deductible donation. Our suggested donations are:
- Cats - $75, $125/pair
- Kittens (6 months & younger) - $125, $200/pair
- Dogs & Puppies - $150
- Rabbits - $60, $100/pair
Contact our Adoption Team at 860-242-9999 ext. 302 or Helpline@OurCompanions.org