Sanctuary Feline Team Manager
Are you a cat lover? Would you thrive leading and guiding other dedicated cat lovers in a vibrant, growing organization that promises to always do the right thing for animals?
If so, you should be excited to learn that Our Companions Animal Rescue is hiring for Sanctuary Feline Team Manager. This full time position will give a talented and experienced cat enthusiast the opportunity to save and change the lives of some of the most medically and behaviorally vulnerable cats in our community.
Our Sanctuary in Ashford, CT is one of a kind. Cats with special needs come to the Sanctuary to experience a home-like, cage free environment where they receive all the physical and behavioral care they need to be able to live rich, happy lives. Here’s a tour so you can see what a truly special place the Sanctuary is.
This position is responsible for managing our committed team of feline caregivers and wellness experts while overseeing the daily operation of the Feline Cottages at the Sanctuary.
Our Companions offers a supportive, positive work environment, encourages personal and professional growth initiatives, and provides constant professional development and day-to-day learning experience in animal care. Medical insurance and paid time off benefits are provided.
Qualified candidates would have over two years of experience leading a team of five to ten employees, as well as experience working with cats.
To be considered for this position, submit your Letter of Interest, Resume and References to Stephanie at [email protected]
Our mission is simple: We are committed to advocate for animals in need by engaging compassionate people to provide innovative community programs. It is our promise to always do the right thing for animals.
At Our Companions Animal Rescue, we believe in creating a community whose culture is built on our shared core values of Respect, Compassion, Cooperation, Innovation, Respect and Trust. We invite those to join our staff who genuinely share and express these values.
What You'll Do
The Feline Team Manager is responsible for overseeing all caregiver staff and operations of the Feline Team cottages. The Feline Team Manager also works closely with the Sanctuary Feline Wellness Specialist to execute health and behavior plans for the cats, as well as the Feline Team Assistant Manager to coordinate the volunteers.
- Supervise the Caregiver staff and Assistant Manager in the Feline Team cottages and provide guidance, training and feedback as needed. Perform staff supervisory tasks including, but not limited to, interviewing candidates, making hiring decisions, scheduling, conducting regular performance evaluations, and addressing staff underperformance.
- Ensure high standards conduct and adherence to core values among the staff. Communicate any notable performance matters to the Sanctuary Director.
- Assist the Feline Team Assistant Manager with oversight of the volunteer program, particularly in their absence. This may include scheduling, training, providing engaging communication in person and through email, and addressing volunteer underperformance and concerns. In addition, the Feline Team Manager may be involved in the Sanctuary Intern Program.
- Assist with the daily care of the cats in the Feline Team Cottages as needed. This could include cleaning, feeding, medications, positive reinforcement behavioral work, exercise and enrichment activity.
- Work within Our Companions computer systems to collect and record data.
- Transport animals as needed, particularly for veterinary visits- including emergency care outside of typical working hours.
- Greet visitors in a courteous and professional manner, including conducting tours and hosting educational visits.
What You Need to Get the Job Done (Minimum Qualifications)
- Always treats people and animals with care and respect; must be a compassionate caregiver for animals and have a genuine interest in working with others
- Maintains a consistently positive attitude; must enjoy working directly with people; respects team members at all levels.
- Cultivates a climate in which individual differences and perspectives are valued, respected, encouraged and supported.
- Flexible communicator: ability to interact with diverse personalities and groups.
- Relishes troubleshooting and problem solving
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Relevant secondary degree or animal welfare related experience.
- Experience managing a group of 5-10 employees for a minimum of 2 years.
- Experience working with cats in a rescue or shelter setting.
- Ability to handle and restrain animals and administer medications to animals.
- Ability to lift and carry over 50 lbs. Ability to walk or stand for extended periods of time. Ability to frequently work in a bending position. Ability to tolerate animal fur and dander.
- The ability to work closely with behaviorally compromised animals.
- Be comfortable with exposure to bites, scratches, fur and contagious diseases.
- Ability to drive a vehicle, and a valid driver’s license required.
- Flexibility to attend staff meetings, training seminars, and take on additional hours including Holidays on a rotating basis.
- Basic computer knowledge and ability to learn industry specific software.
What You'll Love About Working at OC
- Helping Animals and People the right way. Our promise is to always do the right thing for animals. We don’t allow cost saving or convenience to influence any of our decisions. It’s only about doing the right thing.
- Great Company Culture. Our Companion’s focus on Core Values creates a supportive and positive work environment for the people and animals in our care.
- Leadership Development Training. All our manager and supervisors receive ongoing training and peer support to develop their best leadership skills
- Work that Stays at Work. We support a genuine work/life balance
- Health Benefits. Medical with HSA for full and part time employees
- Professional Development Support. We will pay for work-related classes and training programs and even some program that are aimed at helping you be your best self!
- Student Loan Forgiveness. Our Companions is an approved employer as part of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program available through the US Dept of Education.
- Day-to-day Learning Experiences. Our vibrant growing organization provides new learning experiences each day
- Working with Really Awesome People. Let’s face it, animal people are the best! You’ll love working each day with others who share your deep love of animals and want to make our community better for them.
- The schedule is Tuesday-Saturday, 8:00AM-5:00PM, remote work hours are included. Primary work location is the Sanctuary in Ashford, CT.
- This position is Salaried/Exempt and reports to the Sanctuary Director.
- The salary range is $50,000-$55,000 and based on experience.