Are you good with tools and machines? Are you interested in putting your skills to work as part of supportive team working for a good cause?
If so, you should be excited to learn that Our Companions Animal Rescue is hiring for Sanctuary Facilities Caretaker. This part time position will give a talented and hard working individual the opportunity to directly impact the effectiveness of our mission to care for special cats and dogs in need.
Our Sanctuary in Ashford, CT is one of a kind. There’s 47 acres of tranquil landscape, including hiking trails in the woods, open fields, and five play yards. Here’s a tour so you can see what a truly special place the Sanctuary is.
This position is responsible for maintaining the sanctuary property, including small repairs, and working with service professionals, when needed, on major repairs and improvements. This position also works closely with a small and dedicated team of volunteers contributing to the upkeep of the property. Our Companions offers a supportive, positive work environment, and encourages personal and professional growth initiatives. Medical insurance and paid time off benefits are provided.
Qualified candidates would have professional experience working in landscaping or a mechanical or construction trade.
To be considered for this position, submit your Letter of Interest, Resume and References to Stephanie at [email protected]
Our mission is simple: We are committed to advocate for animals in need by engaging compassionate people to provide innovative community programs. It is our promise to always do the right thing for animals.
At Our Companions Animal Rescue, we believe in creating a community whose culture is built on our shared core values of Respect, Compassion, Cooperation, Innovation, Respect and Trust. We invite those to join our staff who genuinely share and express these values.
What You’ll Do
The Sanctuary Facilities Caretaker position is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the Sanctuary’s buildings, grounds, yard care equipment, vehicles, and fixtures, as well as working with the facilities maintenance volunteers to keep the grounds functioning well and looking good.
- Maintenance and light repairs of the Sanctuary’s yard care equipment, including a lawn tractor, lawn mowers, weed trimmers, snow blowers, and other machines.
- Coordinating and monitoring the maintenance and repair needs of the sanctuary’s van and club car, and communicating those needs to the Sanctuary Director.
- Performing weekly and monthly maintenance checklists of water treatment systems, generators, safety equipment, and major appliances, and communicating any major repair needs to the Sanctuary Director.
- Maintaining clean and organized facilities work areas, including the garage and yard care shed.
- Working closely with the facilities maintenance volunteers to keep the grounds well maintained, complete small repairs and upgrades, and perform seasonal decorating tasks.
- Providing regular repairs and maintenance to the facilities buildings, inside and out. Doing regular walk-throughs of the building to identify issues that need to be addressed.
- Scheduling and overseeing the work of contractors for major repairs and upgrades.
- Assisting in preparation and set up for public events at the Sanctuary.
- Maintaining the dog play yards.
- Leading volunteer maintenance group events.
- Keeping an inventory of necessary supplies and coordinating with the Sanctuary Director on the ordering of supplies and parts.
- Maintain effective communication with the entire sanctuary staff.
- Ensure the safety of animals, contractors, and volunteers during the course of maintenance and repair work.
What You Need to Get the Job Done (Minimum Qualifications)
- Ability to work in a wide variety of maintenance and repair areas, including but not limited to machine repair, painting, light plumbing, and light electrical work.
- Ability to perform up to a full day of yard care work
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to communicate with Sanctuary team members, both in person and electronically
- High School Diploma required
- Ability to drive a vehicle, and a valid driver’s license required
- Possess interpersonal skills as well as oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to attend staff meetings, training seminars, and take on additional hours including Holidays and weekends as requested.
- Ability to lift and carry over 50 lbs. Ability to walk or stand for extended periods of time. Ability to frequently work in a bending position. Ability to tolerate animal fur and dander.
What You’ll Love About Working at OC
Helping Animals and People the right way. Our promise is to always do the right thing for animals. We don’t allow cost saving or convenience to influence any of our decisions. It’s only about doing the right thing.
Great Company Culture. Our Companion’s focus on Core Values creates a supportive and positive work environment for the people and animals in our care.
Leadership Development Training. All our manager and supervisors receive ongoing training and peer support to develop their best leadership skills
Work that Stays at Work. We support a genuine work/life balance
Health Benefits. Medical with HSA for full and part time employees
Professional Development Support. We will pay for work-related classes and training programs and even some program that are aimed at helping you be your best self!
Student Loan Forgiveness. Our Companions is an approved employer as part of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program available through the US Dept of Education.
Day-to-day Learning Experiences. Our vibrant growing organization provides new learning experiences each day
Working with Really Awesome People. Let’s face it, animal people are the best! You’ll love working each day with others who share your deep love of animals and want to make our community better for them.
- Part time, 15 to 20 hours per week from April through September, and 5 to 10 hours per week from October through March, as determined by the needs of the sanctuary. Schedule is variable. Work location is the Sanctuary in Ashford, CT.
- This position is Hourly/ Non-exempt and reports to the Sanctuary Director.
- The hourly rate of pay is $18-$20 and based on experience.