Thank you for your interest in having Our Companions Animal Rescue help you to find a home for your domestic rabbit you rescued or can no longer keep. We offer a wonderful rabbit re-homing program where we can work with you to find a loving adopter for your bunny.
Through this program, we have adopted out many domestic rabbits over the past few years and our proven program can certainly help you as well. The reverse of this letter provides details on how we can help to find a loving home for your rabbit.
Participation in this program requires the following:
- You must have access to reliable transportation (Clients need to provide transportation to adoption meetings and veterinary appointments).
- You must agree to keep the rabbit(s) in a safe and secure indoor environment until a new home is found (average placement time ranges from 2-4 months depending on the age, nature, and health of the rabbit).
- E-mail or mail photographs: see the enclosed document (in the additional resources attachment) for tips on taking a good photo. We can use up to three photos and one video for advertising purposes.
- You must take financial responsibility for veterinary care. In order to participate in the program, the following veterinary care is required in advance:
- Rabbit must be spayed or neutered
- Rabbits must have had a completed medical exam with the last six months.
We have a low-cost voucher program available to help if needed. Fax prior vet history to 860.394.4030 and we will refer you to the appropriate program.
If you are unable to sign up for our program at this time, please refer to the Additional Resources Attachment for information on other rescue organizations and for advice on how you can find a home for your rabbit on your own.
Thank you for caring about the animals. Whether this is your pet or a homeless rabbit you are trying to help, we are ready to work with you to find them a forever home!
Caroline K. Gaetano
Manager of Community Programs
FRIENDLY RABBIT RESCUE PROGRAM
Our Companions friendly rabbit rescue program is managed through our Helpline. Helpline volunteers are animal welfare professionals who donate their time to helping pets in need. While there is not a fee for this service, we do gratefully accept donations.
Rabbits in this program will have access to the following services:
- Low-cost veterinary services. Vouchers are available for spay/neuter and examinations.
- Rabbits are advertised on the Our Companions website and Petfinder.com. We have many media partners and have opportunities to advertise through newspaper, radio, television, magazines, and email. We also create a beautifully designed poster for each bunny.
- Meet & Greet events where rabbits can be displayed for adoption. These events are optional for shy bunnies!
- We provide adoption applications and screen potential adopters to find the best home for your rabbit. Our screening process includes: personal and veterinary reference checks, education about transitioning the bunny into a new home and support through the adoption process.
- Once an adopter is found, a contract will be drafted between you and the new adopter. Should the adoption fail, we require one party to pledge that they will house the rabbit until a new adopter can be found. A donation to Our Companions is appreciated once the adoption is finalized.
To sign up for this program return following materials: Assistance Request form, Personality Profile, Veterinary records, and Photographs/Video. It is important to note that this program does takes some time, so please return ALL of the information as soon as possible. Do keep in mind that we are unable to respond to emergency situations.