General Adoption Information
Thank you for your interest in adopting a pet! You’ve made a great decision to give a rescued pet a loving home. We invite you to learn more about our unique adoption process here.
The OC Adoption Program aims to find a pet who will be the best match for each adopter. To accomplish this we know each animal’s personality and needs and we get to know our adopters and their lifestyles.
OC provides our adopters with support from the start of the journey and throughout the animal’s entire life; including pre-adoption counseling, assistance while the animal is settling in and life-long support. Our goal is to find loving homes for our animals and to facilitate individualized adoptions that meet both the adopter’s and animal’s needs.
Pet Adoption Information
The OC Adoption Program aims to find a pet who will be the best match for each adopter. OC provides our adopters with support from the start of the journey and throughout the animal’s entire life; including pre adoption counseling, assistance while the animal is settling in and life-long support. Our goal is to find loving homes for our animals and to facilitate individualized adoptions that meet both the adopter’s and animal’s needs.
Why Adopt from Our Companions?
We offer a personalized adoption process, with an individual pet adoption caseworker assigned to work with you throughout the process. Making an ideal match for both pet and adopter is our highest priority. In addition, we offer support long after the adoption is completed to make sure our adopters have the help they need to care for their pet.
What is the process for adopting a pet from Our Companions?
- Once we receive your application, you will be assigned an adoption caseworker within two business days. They will work with you throughout the adoption process. Caseworkers are also available to talk with you about our process and available pets prior to submitting an application. We do take more than one application for each pet to ensure the best match possible is selected.
- Your caseworker will review your application, which includes contacting your personal and veterinary references and talking with you to learn more about your preferences for your new pet.
- Once an appropriate match has been identified, your caseworker will set up a meeting at our Program Center in Manchester, CT or Sanctuary in Ashford, CT. With dog adoptions, a dog-to-dog introduction will also be arranged prior to finalizing an adoption for those applicants wanting to welcome a dog into a multi-dog household. A visit to your home may be scheduled as well.
- If it’s a match, a separate adoption meeting is set up to bring home your new family member! What is included in an adoption?Our Companions wants to make sure adopters have everything they need to help their new pet transition well. Therefore, we include the following with our adoptions:
- All of our pets receive a veterinary wellness exam, are vaccinated as appropriate, spayed or neutered and treated for internal and external parasites.
- Dogs are tested for Lyme and Heartworm. Cats are tested for FeLV and FIV.
- Most pets are micro-chipped prior to adoption.
- Cats and dogs will usually be sent to their new home with a favorite toy, bed, and/or blanket tomake their transition more comfortable.
- In addition, Our Companions provides transitioning advice and support when the pet is first movingin. Follow-up is provided for the first year and beyond as needed. You are welcome to reach out atany time after that as well. Our advice is always free!
- Dog adopters are offered Positive Reinforcement Dog Training Classes at a discounted rate, which take place at the Program Center in Manchester.
How do I visit?
- After your application is reviewed, your Caseworker will contact you to schedule a time to meet the animal(s) being considered for adoption.
- Many of our cats and dogs are guests at our Ashford Sanctuary. Meetings for these pets take place at the Sanctuary, and you can often meet more than one animal while there.
- Some of our adoptable animals are not at the sanctuary; rather, they are living with their original owners while they await rehoming. These animals may take a bit longer to adopt, but we have found that this is the best way to keep the pets comfortable and out of a shelter while being rehomed. Meetings with these pets take place at the Program Center in Manchester.
- We encourage adopters to get to know more about Our Companions. We offer monthly Meet and Greet events at our Manchester Program Center, as well as tours at the Sanctuary in Ashford. Visit our website for a current schedule of Events.
How much does it cost to adopt?
Our Companions does not charge for adoptions, but we do ask for a tax-deductible donation. Our suggested donations are:
- Cats: $75, $125 for a pair
- Kittens (6 mos and younger): $125, $200 for a pair
- Dogs/Puppies: $150
- Rabbits: $60, $100 for a pair
Adoption Form Links
- Cat Adoption Application
- Dog Adoption Application
- Rabbit Adoption Application
- Small Animal Adoption Application
What other Programs and Services does Our Companions offer?
Our Companions offers a variety of rescue based programs to the community; including an Animal Assistance Helpline, Dog Training Classes, Feral Cat Trap-Neuter-Return Program, Pet Re-homing Services and Humane Education. Visit our program page to learn more: https://www.ourcompanions.org/pages/programs.htm
Contact our Adoption Team at 860-242-9999 ext. 302 or [email protected]