2019 Cat Rescue Program
2019 Our Companions Cat Rescue Program PDF
Thank you for your interest in having Our Companions Animal Rescue help you to find a home for your cat or the friendly stray (abandoned) cat you rescued. We offer a wonderful cat re-homing program where we can work with you to find a loving adopter for your kitty.
Through this program, we have adopted out many cats over the years and our proven program can certainly help you as well.
Participation in this program requires the following:
o You must have access to reliable transportation (Clients need to provide transportation to adoption meetings and veterinary appointments).
o You must agree to keep the cat(s) in a safe and secure indoor environment until a new home is found (average placement time ranges from 2 – 4 months depending on the age, nature, and health of the cat).
o E-mail or mail photographs: See the 10 Tips for Taking an Effective Photo document for tips on taking a good photo. We can use up to six photos and one video for advertising purposes.
o You must take financial responsibility for veterinary care. In order to participate in the program, the following veterinary care is required in advance:
1. Cat must be spayed or neutered
2. Cat must be current with Rabies and Distemper Vaccines
3. Cat must have received a test for FIV and FeLV within the last six months, with documentation of results
4. Cat must be treated for fleas, worms, and ear mites
5. For cats 10 years of age or older, a full blood panel is also required (senior screen, with T4)
We have a low cost voucher program available to help. Mail, Scan/Email or Fax prior vet history to 860.394.4030 and we will refer you to the appropriate program.
If you are unable to sign up for our program at this time, please refer to the OC Feline Additional Resources for information on other rescue organizations and for advice on how you can find a home for your cat on your own.
Thank you for caring about the animals. Whether this is your pet or a stray you are trying to help, we are ready work with you to find them a forever home!
Caroline K. Gaetano
Director of Community Programs
FRIENDLY CAT RESCUE PROGRAM
Our Companions friendly cat rescue program is managed through our Animal Helpline. Helpline volunteers are animal welfare professionals who donate their time to helping pets in need. While there is not a fee for this service, we do gratefully accept donations.
Cats in this program will have access to the following services:
• Low cost veterinary services. Vouchers are available for spay/neuter, vaccinations, blood work, etc. We have partner vets in Bolton, Bristol, North Windham and West Hartford.
• Cats are advertised on the Our Companions website and Facebook page and Petfinder.com. We also have many media partners and have opportunities to advertise through newspaper, radio, television, magazines and email. We also create a beautifully designed poster for each cat.
• Showings with screened applicants are held at our Program Center in Manchester
• Eligibility for our Sanctuary in Ashford. Only the cats that are signed up for our cat rescue program will be eligible for the Sanctuary. Cats are invited based on space and the existing population of cats. Once cats are living at the Sanctuary, they will be featured for adoption from there.
• We provide adoption applications and screen potential adopters to find the best home for your cat. Our screening process includes: landlord, personal and veterinary reference checks, education about transitioning the cat into a new home and support through the adoption process.
• Once an adopter is found, a contract will be drafted between you and the new adopter.
Should the adoption fail, we require one party to pledge that they will house the cat until a new adopter can be found. A donation to Our Companions is appreciated once the adoption is finalized. If the cat is adopted from the Sanctuary, the original owner would not be part of that contract.
To sign up for this program, please return following completed materials: Assistance Request & Personality Profile, Veterinary records (with Chart Notes) and Photographs. It is important to note that this program does takes some time, so please return ALL of the information as soon as possible. Do keep in mind that we are unable to respond to emergency situations.