Are you looking for a way to use your time and talents to help animals live a better life?
Do you want to become part of a vibrant organization that is committed to doing the right things for animals, regardless of the cost or challenge? If so, then you are our type of person.
Here are just a few of our volunteer opportunities:
• Caring for animals at our Ashford Sanctuary
• Caseworker/Adoption Counselor on our Animal Helpline
• Caseworker for Feral Cats, to help guide their caregivers through the TNR process
• Supporting our TNR (Trap/Neuter/Return) Program by hosting food drives and building shelters
• Providing Administrative help at our Valerie Friedman Program Center
• Become a Canine College volunteer and help train dogs in need
• Representing Our Companions as an Ambassador at public events
• All new volunteers must complete and submit the volunteer application at the bottom of this page before attending the New Volunteer Orientation.
• We enjoy having the opportunity to involve young people aged 15 and older in our programs. Volunteers between the ages of 15-17 must have a parent or guardian actively volunteering along with them and can volunteer during designated shifts. Our full policy on youth volunteers is outlined here.
• All volunteers must meet the cognitive and physical requirements to safely perform their tasks, work independently, follow verbal and written instructions, and effectively communicate with staff, other volunteers, and the public.
• All new volunteers must attend a New Volunteer Orientation before becoming involved in any program.
• All volunteers must hold personal medical insurance and those who may be transporting animals will be required to show proof of auto insurance, so please bring your insurance information to the New Volunteer Orientation.
Our Companions offers New Volunteer Orientations once a month in our Manchester Program Center. During the one-hour orientation, you will learn more about Our Companions (our mission, philosophy and programs), how you can get involved in various volunteer programs, and the types of training that are required for different positions.
Dates for the 2015 New Volunteer Orientations:
Wednesday, February 11th, 6 pm
Saturday, March 21st, 10 am
Saturday, April 18th, 10 am
Wednesday, May 20th, 6 pm
Wednesday, June 17th, 6 pm
Saturday, August 22nd, 10 am
Thursday, September 24th, 6 pm
Wednesday, October 14th, 6 pm
Saturday, November 7th, 10 am
Saturday, December 5th, 10 am
Just for Kids
We enjoy having the opportunity to involve young people aged 15 and older in our programs. Volunteers between the ages of 15-17 must have a parent or guardian actively volunteering along with them and can volunteer during designated shifts. Our full policy on youth volunteers is outlined here.
Young people under the age of 15 unfortunately will not be able to volunteer, but are encouraged to participate in supportive activities as outlined in our Volunteer Activities for Young People document. You will find different ways in which you can get involved. Each step-by-step activity is designed for young adults or groups of young adults. Whether it is raising money for our organization’s programs or collecting food for feral cats, your efforts will go directly towards saving the lives of precious animals.